Talking Cockatoos parrots stand out from other parrot species with their dramatic crest feathers, dusty feathers, and varying shades of white, pink, gray and black. Pet cockatoos are often referred to as “velcro” birds because of their highly sociable nature and borderline obsessive need to be around the people in their lives. Cockatoos range in size from medium to large. baby cockatoo parrots for sale
Life Span: 15 – 80 yrs.
Length: 12 – 26″ (30 – 66 cm)
Weight: 10 – 42 oz. (300 – 1200 grams)
Cockatoo Parrots Native Region / Natural Habitat
All cockatoo species occur in Australia and the islands around Oceania, including Malaysia, the Philippines, the eastern Indonesian islands of Wallacea to New Guinea, and the Solomon Islands. Cockatoos occupy a wide range of habitats, from forests in subalpine regions to mangroves. The most widespread species, like the galah and cockatiel, prefer open-country land where there are plentiful grass seeds. cockatoos parrots for sale usa
The talking Cockatoo’s habitat varies by species. Cockatoo habitats include rainforests, woodlands, shrublands and even alpine forests!
In the wild, cockatoos are highly social, and mixed flocks will forage, fly, and roost together.
The cockatoo’s diet in the wild consists mainly of seeds, fruits, flowers and insects. Some species prefer to forage on the ground while others will only feed in the trees. In their native lands some cockatoos are considered agricultural pests due to the severe damage they can do to farmer’s crops. umbrella cockatoo parrots for sale here
The wild population of some species of cockatoos are declining primarily due to loss of their habitats and nesting holes. Other cockatoo species are threatened due to illegal trapping.
Cockatoo Parrot Care & Feeding
Talking Cockatoos parrot for sale need a well-constructed cage to not only prevent it from escaping but to prevent the bird from destroying it. A pet cockatoo will need a steady supply of appropriate items to chew and destroy. Cockatoos tend to be needier than other pet parrot species and an owner should set boundaries early on, otherwise the bird might scream for attention. A cockatoo new to the home should not be showered with non-stop attention, but rather given toys and other enrichment opportunities as well as intermittent attention so that the bird learns to keep itself entertained when the people in its life are not able to offer one-on-one time.
Food for cockatoos should be nutritious, but should also include a foraging element as well. Cockatoos are fun-loving, intelligent and energetic parrots, and their food should reflect those traits. Wild cockatoos forage all day for seeds and nuts, as well as coconuts and grain crops. Like all companion parrots, cockatoos do not thrive on birdseed alone. Cockatoo food shouldn’t be boring to eat, either, and will love foods like Avi-Cakes, Pellet-Berries, Nutri-Berries, and Lafeber’s Premium Daily Diet Pellets. cockatoo parrots for sale near me
Cockatoo Parrots Common Health
Talking Cockatoos are prone to neurotic behavior, including feather picking and self-mutilation, if they lack the affection and attention they need. Additionally, if cuddled or stimulated inappropriately (sexually), they develop problems with their reproductive system like cloacal prolapse and becoming egg bound.
Other common diseases that can affect cockatoos include psittacine beak and feather disease, a viral disease that attacks the immune system; bumblefoot, painful lesions on the bird’s feet; and obesity, which results from a high-fat diet and insufficient physical activity.
Cockatoo Parrots Exercise
Talking cockatoos love to chew and destroy things, so providing chewable toys is a necessity. Offer softwood toys, tree branches, vegetable-tanned leather, rope toys (supervise use), bells, and cardboard. Cockatoos like hanging toys and toys that can be picked up by the feet. Toys with hanging strands simulate preening and are popular with cockatoos.
Cockatoo Parrots Fun Facts
- Cockatoos became very popular as pets in the 1970’s when a Triton Cockatoo starred in a detective series named Baretta.
- Did you know that most cockatoos are left-handed?
- Some people have nicknamed cockatoos “lap puppies” because they love lots of attention, petting and cuddling.
- For some mature cockatoo species, you can often distinguish male and female cockatoos by the color of their eyes. The male’s eyes tend to be darker in color than the females.
- Male Palm Cockatoos dance and use a stick to drum on hollow logs to attract females.
- Palm Cockatoos can easily crack brazil nuts with their beaks.
- You can often tell the mood of a cockatoo by looking at the position of their crest feathers. If they are standing straight up it means they are surprised or excited about something. If the crest feathers are relaxed then your bird is relaxed.
- One anatomical difference between cockatoos and “true parrots” is that cockatoos have gall bladders.
- Cockatoos are known for being very mechanical and many are good at escaping from their cages.
- Some people believe that the sight of Red-tailed Black cockatoos means rain. cockatoo bird breeders near me